Nuggets are an easy task for Kobe's hunger

The three NBA championships Kobe Bryant won during the early part of this decade filled him up, to be sure.

But now he says his appetite for a championship is greater than it has ever been, and more consuming than before he won.

"I'm a little hungrier now than I was the first time," Bryant said Friday, a serious tone in his voice.

All Bryant has done to feed this inner beast is average 40.5 points in his first two playoff games against Denver, the highest scoring average in these NBA playoffs.

He has made 50.9 percent of his field-goal attempts and guided the Lakers to a 2-0 lead over the Nuggets in the best-of-seven series that resumes today in Denver.

After he spoke up last summer and put pressure on the Lakers to improve, then saw how the team had grown and the potential it had, he put an equal amount of pressure on himself to make the most of the opportunity.

"It comes with the territory," Bryant said. "You can't be Superman and not deal with the pressure of dropping somebody when you go to rescue them."

Bryant was 21 when he won his first championship in 2000. He's 29 now and doesn't want to wait much longer.

"The first one, I was so young," he said. "Plus I was sharing that pressure with somebody else. Me and Diesel (Shaquille O'Neal) both had the pressure on us to kind of get it done -- he more so than I. Now the pressure is squarely on my shoulders to try and bring another championship here. It's something that I accept."

Bryant, who seems driven like few others in the game, sees his influence rubbing off on teammates.

"I don't expect them to have the same hunger that I do," he said. "It's not the same that I have, but they are driven enough to get it done. No question about it. They are all hungry."

The first task is getting by Denver. The Nuggets are up against it, knowing they can't fall into a 3-0 deficit, a hole no NBA team has climbed out of to win a series.

"We have to be a little more physical, or prepare for more contact or duress, I guess," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "Play through things that will happen to you out there on the court -- the contact, and through fouls."

What about Jackson's hunger? He led Bryant to those three titles and returned in 2005 to lead the Lakers back to the mountaintop.

He hasn't won an NBA title since 2002, so many wonder if Jackson has that same hunger as Bryant.

"Well, I haven't had breakfast since 8:30. I'm very hungry right now," Jackson joked. "I had to come out here to talk to you guys and it's past my lunchtime. So yes, I am hungry. But I just want to win the series."

Jackson, tied with Celtics legend Red Auerbach for most NBA titles as a coach with nine, was asked if he is hungry to pass his one-time nemesis.

"I'll see you guys later," Jackson said and walked away, a smile on his face.

Turiaf Hopes to Play

Ronny Turiaf, who missed Game 2 with tonsillitis, practiced some Friday and said he hopes to play today in Game 3.

"I'm actually eating and drinking today," said Turiaf, who said he lost 11 pounds in the past week. "I might be tired when I play but I think I can help."

Reach Broderick Turner

0 comments: