Coach Jim Boylen has hired Taylorsville's Stan Johnson from Cal State Northridge to fill one of the two vacant assistant coaching positions on his men

Coach Jim Boylen has hired Taylorsville's Stan Johnson from Cal State Northridge to fill one of the two vacant assistant coaching positions on his men's basketball staff at the University of Utah.
"The biggest thing for me is that he kind of shares my vision of Utah across your chest meaning something," Boylen said. "He wants to be here, he's passionate about being here. He understands our state and he's excited about what we are trying to build. I'm excited about it."
The 29-year-old Johnson grew up cheering for the Utes, and graduated from Taylorsville High School in 1998 - the same year the Utes played in the championship game of the NCAA Tournament.
"I was probably never good enough to play there," Johnson said. "But I know I'm good enough as a coach now to come back and help them."
Johnson played three years at Southern Utah - he helped the Thunderbirds win the Mid-Continent Conference championship and reach the NCAA Tournament in 2001 - before transferring to Bemidji State in Minnesota for his final college season. Johnson then began his coaching career at Bemidji, and moved on to Southwest Baptist University in Missouri before joining the Matadors less than a year ago.
"I'm excited," he said. "I've been around Utah basketball when it was at its peak. I know what's possible there. Coach Boylen has a great vision, great passion, and I myself am very passionate about the state. We can get Utah basketball to what it's capable of, not only competing for conference titles but nationally, doing some great things."
Johnson effectively replaces departed assistant coach Marty Wilson, who took a job as the head-coach-in-waiting at his alma mater, Pepperdine. Boylen still is working on finding a replacement for Chris Jones, who left the Utes for a similar job at Utah State.

0 comments: