Can Steve Francis Accept Reserve Role On Contending Houston Rockets?

Can Steve Francis Accept Reserve Role On Contending Houston Rockets?


November 07 07

Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle reports on Steve Francis accepting his new role with the Rockets:

Rockets guard Steve Francis said he appreciated fans in Toyota Center on Saturday calling for him to get playing time, but that it would not and should not influence coach Rick Adelman’s

"It was unbelievable," Francis said. "The fans always embraced me, even when I wasn’t a member of the Houston Rockets. It meant a lot to me. The thing that is scary is what if I come in and miss my first two shots?

"I definitely love the support, but that should not make a difference to the coach’s decisions. I not going to say that it should, but do I want to play? Hell, yes."

"It’s not my decision," he said. "We’re 3-0 right now. Nothing is going to change. I’m just going to be patient and stay mentally strong. It’s hard."

My Quick Take: Fair or not, Francis has been tagged as selfish. Years ago, he pouted when drafted by the Vancouver Grizzlies. In Orlando, he complained when best friend Cat Mobley got traded to the L.A. Clippers. And New York was a disaster.

Give Francis credit. Five games into the season and he hasn’t seen the court. But the former Franchise has kept his mouth shut and handled his lack of minutes like a true professional.

Houston hasn’t given Francis much of a choice. The Rockets are 4-1. Last night, they beat the world champion San Antonio Spurs. And the team’s perimeter players are performing.

Right now, no minutes are available. However, Houston superstar Tracy McGrady is injury-prone and Francis could fill-in as a short-term, emergency replacement.

Will Francis, a former All-Star, accept his role as cheap insurance and wait for an opportunity to play? Time will tell.

Does Francis deserve minutes with Houston? Get at us in the comment box below with your thoughts.

0 comments: